Monday, February 19, 2007

I have been trying to write lately. I am revising a story I should have finished months ago. for coherencies sake I have had to cut paragraphs that I rather liked. I am too lazy to write anything new here. Perhaps you will enjoy them, decontextualized though they are.

Eight months have passed since Byron’s funeral and I am still squinting against the darkness. My pencil is carving its self portrait into my hand. The reader can not yet understand these things. He is put off by stylistic flourishes. He is suspicious of themes of death and obsession. His own presence here is an embarrassment to him. The address seems to him to be an appeal to the gods. It is a romantic convention. It reminds him of the time of poetry – the old dreams of sentiment and communication. He has been suckled on the catalogue. He can lose himself in the file and the index. Narrative is for more decadent natures. It is something for which one should be ashamed. But I am not ashamed. I will write two hundred pages into the past. I did not love Byron but I will sing his elegy until I collapse from exhaustion. I will do it because I have become habituated to such actions. I will turn his life into an epic. I will assemble a chorus and I will thrash it with iambs and heroic couplets until it wails in agony. I will do this because for me writing tragedy is like copying from the dictionary. I do it for the simple pleasure of scratching my pencils down to nubs. I could just as well not write and merely grind them away, but then I would not feel this pain in my fingers and the pain is everything.

I haven't slept in days, nor have I been able to paint. I can feel the blank canvases accumulating in my closet silently conspiring against me. Half formed ideas smash into one another and the walls of my skull, leaving twisted wreckage, the macabre remnants of creativity: William Burroughs nightmares -- endless junk and sodomy and defecation -- and my hobbling seventy year old neighbor wrapped around the machinery of her walker, her face all in those same Lucian Freud hues that invade everything.

expect more of this in the coming days

8 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Mills said...

"He has been suckled on the catalogue. He can lose himself in the file and the index."

That pretty much summarizes me to a T.

This is very, very good. I really like "...and the pain is everything."
I wish I knew the rest of the story. So this is the stuff you've cut, then? How long is the story without this stuff?

I look forward to comming days.

--Andrew

10:50 AM  
Blogger Andrew Mills said...

So I was thinking about it, and "summarizes me to a T" makes no sense.

This summarizes me perfectly. Or whatever.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Andrew Mills said...

I also think
"I can feel the blank canvases accumulating in my closet silently conspiring against me."
is very well put.

I also think you should post some more of this. It can't be that much effort just to type this stuff in.

I also think you're going to get all excited when you see that there's a new comment, and then be really dissapointed when you see that it's from the same person who left the first two.
Sorry about that.

--Andrew

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heyyyy! You totally updated without telling me. And I didn't notice...I'm sorry.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Andrew Mills said...

I'm re-reading the story, and I have a question:

You reference your audience -- "the reader" -- a good bit. Any particular reason?

I could mention all the individual lines that really grab me, too, but you seem more interested in what people think of it overall.

And yes, this is the 4th comment I've left on this thing, and yes, I should probably go out and get a life or something.

--Andrew

3:51 PM  
Blogger Iris wall-mouse said...

I was sort of trying to establish the reader as a character in the story. I wanted to establish a relationship between the narrator and his reader, but I also wanted to establish a distance between the actual reader and the one the narrator imagines (this is also why I used the gendered pronoun -- I want the address to be a specific as possible. I want it to be clear the the narrator has imagined a specific person. I want the only intersubjectivity to be between the narrator and this imagined person. I'm trying to push the solipsism to extremes and still have a second character ).

That was kind of scattered but I hope I sort of answered your question in there somewhere.

8:39 PM  
Blogger oneifbyland said...

so i thought we were going to get to see more of this?
i realise this sounds super entitled, seeing as i didn't comment, but i did enjoy it and would like to read the rest.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Andrew Mills said...

Work today has been really crappy, and then Erin put on "Love Will Tear Us Apart" about ten minutes ago, and we all instantly perked up. That is such a good song.

Just FYI.

--Andrew

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home